Desiccant / Silica Gel
Silica Gel Packets
- Silica gel desiccants bags protection from Moisture damage.
One of the most common types of desiccants is the Silica Gel Packets . Silica gel is a high porous form of silica which is made from sodium silicate. Although called as a â€œgelâ€,it is actually in solid state.
Desiccant silica gel can absorb water making it very useful as a drying agent.
These desiccant packets are usually used for preserving the quality of an object inside an enclosed package. Letting an object be kept ignoring the changes in humidity and presence of moisture inside the package will gradually damage the object enclosed inside a box.
The first use of silica gel packets is mentioned to be in World War II to keep the penicillin dry; this proved that it is a great drying agent. It can also be used as air freshener, is effective in absorbing bad odors and gradually will eject fragrance all over the place.
Important documents and belongings that should be dry all the time can be stored safely having desiccant silica gel inside the storage bins and other storage areas as it prevents the moisture and condensation.
Camera lenses are very prone on getting moisture when there is a change in temperature. Silica desiccant can absorb the moisture present on the lenses of the camera. As digital cameras need more attention because of their delicate structure, putting some silica gel would be a great help for a longer lens life.
Guns and ammo should also have protection against moisture. It is advisable to put silica gel packets on their storage. Thees will absorb the moisture present inside the storage. Moisture on guns and ammo will create rust and loss its reliability.
Cell phones are very valuable to almost all of its users. Generating moisture inside a cell phone unit will gradually slow its original performance or worse, may make it a total wreck. Putting silica gel on the unit may lessen this to occur. It is an effective moisture-absorber and may save your unit from crash.
- Silica gel is used in various applications including: Maintenance of dry atmosphere in Food, Pharmaceutical, Electronic, Optical Instruments, Engineering, Wood, Furniture and Leather Garments.
- Silica gel is non-toxic and non-flammable.
- Silica gel is most frequently and conveniently used packed in a breathable sachet or bag. These are available in a wide range of sizes suitable for use with a wide range of applications.
- Grams: 0.5, 1, 2, 3, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 40, 50, 100, 250, 500 gram. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Kg.
Using silica gel packets is the cheapest way to protect our belongings from damage caused of moisture. It may be considered as one of the important breakthroughs in science, though also considered as â€œlow-techâ€, using silica gel is the most effective way of keeping our things fresh and dry.